Re: possible move to unstable..

> c) Upgrade to Woody(testing). Woody is the new "in-between"
> distribution, which is supposed to be more stable then Sid. For
> instance, the broken LILO package never made it into Woody.

This is getting away from the thread's original subject, but the new
lilo package that did make it into woody (21.6-2) *is* broken as far as
I'm concerned. It replaces your /etc/lilo.conf with it's own (wrong)
idea of what should be there, even if you cancel out of the
configuration. That's very bad form.

Here's my /etc/lilo.conf before upgrading to lilo 21.6-2:

boot=/dev/hdc9
root=/dev/hdc9
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
lba32
prompt
timeout=100
vga=5
delay=50
read-only
verbose=2
default=linux2218.2
image=/boot/bzImage240.2
  label=linux240.2
image=/boot/bzImage240.1
  label=linux240.1
image =/boot/zImage2218.2
  label=linux2218.2

And here's what I had afterwards:

boot=/dev/hdc9
root=/dev/hdc9
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
delay=20
map=/boot/map
append=""
read-only
image=/vmlinuz
    label=Linux
image=/vmlinuz.old
    label=old

The only saving grace is that it does save your old file by renaming it.
Time for a bug report, although I suspect this one is already reported.

Tom