Re: strange files, break-in?

on Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 07:20:52PM +0100, Igor Mozetic (igor.mozetic@uni-mb.si) wrote:
> I've noticed three strange files in /root dir:
>
> host:~# ls -al /root
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1024 Jan  5 11:20 ..hwm
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       214184 Jan  5 11:20 ..pwd
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        11356 Jan  5 11:20 ..pwi
>
> ..pwd is ascii with a lot of control chars in it, the other
> two are binaries. Is this a side product of running some
> program or maybe some break-in leftover?

I'd vote for hack.

Try searching for these files in a search engine, you'll likely get an
idea of what tools these are associated with.  At Google, I'm finding
crack_mkdict which is a crack password generation file -- what I
strongly suspect that '..pwd' is -- commonly used passwords with
modifiers.  This is associated with:

  crack_testlib
  crack_testnum
  crack_teststr
  crack_packer

...so, have you been playing with cracklib2 in the recent past?

If not, I'd suggest rebooting immediately to known good media.  The
LinuxCare BBC (ISO available: http://open-projects.linuxcare.com/BBC/)
is highly excellent, full-featured, and Debian-based.  You'll want to
snoop around /root, /bin, /sbin, and a few other areas looking for odd
files (timestamps may or may not help).  If you can't get the BBC, try
Tom's RootBoot (http://www.toms.net/rb) is another good option, though
it's foundations on the 2.0.37 kernel may not allow access to modern
ext2fs filesystems.  I'd try to get a copy of sash, the
stand-alone-shell, which is statically linked and has copies of many
useful utilities, for snooping around -- your system is now suspect.
Note in particular that ls, ps, top, and a few other standard utilities
are very typically replaced with variants which won't reveal the crack
tools.  You can get around this by using the poor man's versions:

   echo * .*		# Will list all files matching the wildcard
   			# pattern

   echo /proc/[0-9]*	# Will list all processes currently running on
   			# the system.  Note any discrepencies between
			# this output and 'ps'.

Note that if you do find a mysterious process, you can STOP it (rather
than kill it) to examine the state of the process.  You may also want to
look at netstat and lsof output to see if there are any mysterious
things going on.  Doing this from a relatively quiescent system is
likely to be helpful.

Best thing to do is to get a known good copy of Debian MD5 checksums and
run the md5sums package to verify your system.  Verify *all*
inconsistancies.  Note that you'll still have to find unaccounted-for
binaries.  Then, you're likely going to want to reinstall your system
partitions, after wiping out the current directories thoroughly.  Save
your local information.

Time to read up on forensics and intrusion recovery.