Re: coping with a high-volume mailing list (like this one)?

David Z Maze wrote:

> Frank Copeland <fjc@thingy.apana.org.au> writes:
> FC> On 29 Nov 00 05:34:28 GMT, Lawrence H. Robins <lrobins@his.com> wrote:
>  LHR> I'm curious to know what strategies are used by regular
>  LHR> subscribers to this list to deal with the high volume of
>  LHR> messages (>250/day)?
> FC>
> FC> A mail2news gateway. A decent news client is always going to be a
> FC> better bet for dealing with a high volume threaded discussion group.
>
> (Not for newbies, but...) I read all of my mail in Gnus, the singing,
> dancing mail- and newsreader for Emacs.  Gnus' view of the world is
> that everything (including mail groups, mbox files, IMAP folders, ...)
> is a newsgroup, and reacts accordingly.

Gnus is great, one fo the best :)

(...)

> The big downside of Gnus, of course, is that it's written entirely in
> Emacs-Lisp, and you pretty much need to know elisp moderately well to
> be able to effectively configure it.  It is a very powerful program,
> though; current versions support reading and sending MIME
> out-of-the-box, and good support for encrypted messages is coming up
> in the next version.

Actually the biggest downside for me is that I can't use gpg with it...
yes, I know about mailcrypt, it works very well and all looks great, but
for ppl tha use another charset beside us-ascii AFAIK it doesn't work
because apparently Emacs converts the chars with the high bit set from
escapes into actual chars (or something to that effect :) ) *after* the
message has been signed, and thus the signature will not check.

I hope they fix this soon (if it is fixed please tell me); in the
meantime i'm usign Mutt: I must say that I'm very happy with it so far,
gpg works very well and it also works well with my procmail settings
(BTW, to cope with the Debian lists the script that comes in the
devscripts package is excellent! It creates the folders automatically
and as .forward for sendmail and exim).

So, both rock :)

best regards,

fsm