Re: OT: port scan

On 28 Nov 2000 09:58:02 MST, "Gary Hennigan" writes:
>"Mario Olimpio de Menezes" <mario@curiango.ipen.br> writes:
>> 	One computer where I have Debian installed was scanned
>> recently. Someone probed several ports (~20), maybe trying to determine
>> the running OS (something like nmap does).
>> 	Do you think this *IS* an attack? I mean, should I report this
>> as *AN* attack?
>
>I personally don't bother unless there's a pattern of scanning coming
>from a particular location. If you're on the net for any length of
>time it's a pretty frequent occurrence and if you tried to follow up
>on each of them you'd be spending a significant amount of time filing
>complaints.

I take a session of ~20 minutes filing various complaints per week.

As I work for an ISP I know that it´s quite worth the time, the harder
 the life for script kiddies (funny everytime you tell the account
 holder eg parents ;-) what their kids do) and spammers the less likely
 that they try again.

cheers,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /