Re: Weird Error

> > I just installed Debian 2.2 and compiled the 2.2.17 kernel on a 3.2 gig
> > Quantum Fireball EX. The drive is a slave on the primary IDE cable and
> >
> > Starting deferred execution scheduler: atdhdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 {
> > DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > hdb: irq timeout: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > hdb: DMA disabled
> > ide0: reset: success

Some older Quantum drives are at least blacklisted for overestimating
their capabilities when reporting their best PIO/DMA-Modes.

Personally, i use an EX 4.5GB ok in DMA Mode, but it also claims to do
UDMA (can't verify, don't have a controller for that).

You should really try turning DMA off with
	hdparm -d 0 /dev/hdb

martin