xserver-xfree86_4.0.1-8 config error

An apt-get upgrade two nights ago included xserver-xfree86_4.0.1-8 that
failed to install at the configure stage.

Just now a replacement download failed again. The error shows:

------
Unpacking replacement xserver-xfree86 ...
Setting up xserver-xfree86 (4.0.1-8) ...
sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''[1]
sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
dpkg: error processing xserver-xfree86 (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128
 xserver-xfree86
Press any key to continue...

Looking at the postrm script seems ok to me and just running it standalone
within the .deb package file dosen't bring up errors, but running the config
file the same way repeats the error

[1] When I cut and pasted the error from another console the backtick didn't
show here so I manually inserted it. Now I am wondering whether the
cut/paste process might have probs as well?

Anyone else struck this.
--