Re: Emacs shell with ^M's ???

    Jonathan> On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 04:38:06PM -0600, Timmy Douglas wrote: :i
    Jonathan> think this is because these commands (ls) output return carriages
    Jonathan> i :think.

    Jonathan> The puzzling thing is that this doesn't happen on other machines
    Jonathan> with the same apparent installation...

    Jonathan> Thanks for the pointer, I'll probably hit up IRC tomorrow when I
    Jonathan> have the machine infront of me and it's officially my problem
    Jonathan> again.

You can try installing the mule packages (mule2-bin, mule2-plain,
mule2-support).  It looks like mule (Multilingual enhancements to Emacs)
detects "DOS files" (i.e. files with carriage returns) and hides the carriage
returns.

You can also check that you have the right ls, etc. installed (I don't think
they should be emitting carriage returns).

Hubert