Re: installing .deb files

Hello

* Christian Eckert (c_eckert@gmx.net) wrote:
> I followed trying dpkg-scanpackages but I ran into new problems, because
> I don' t know how to create an override file.
> So I read the manpage but it didn't help me. I am not sure but I believe
> that creating an override file is a task for a developper or maintainer.
>
> Downloading  the override file of a whole new Debian-Linux (found in the
> directory pub/debian/indices)
> seems not to be the solution.

	I've had this problemn trying to install woody packages on my
	old potato system :>. This is how I proceeded:

	* first, I copied the packages to /opt/packages/unofficial

	* second, I created a override file. This file contains three
	fields on each line separated by space:

package-name	priority	section

	where package-name is the name of the package (:>) without the
	version number, priority is extra and section is unofficial
	(hence the name of the directory)

	* then, run dpkg-scanpackage by:

cd /opt/packages/unofficial; dpkg-scanpackages . override > Packages

	* fourth, add this location in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb file:/opt/packages/unofficial

	* and now: apt-get update; apt-get install ...

> If  I do so then every package of my distrubution would be marked as not
> up-to-date.

	With this solution, dselect, dpkg and apt should be happy and
	leave others packages quiet.

> I only want to update (or to install a deb-file downloaded from ftp or from
> cd-rom) one or two packages, and I want to use dselect. Furthermore I want
> to use my old distribution.
> how can I do this ?

Hope this help
--