Re: more apache/perl problems, "premature end of script"

i downloaded cgi-lib.pl and placed it in the same directory as my
script. (from cgi-lib.berkeley.edu) it runs fine on the cmdline (both
my box and my university's server)

the error i get in /var/log/apache/error.log is (without the time
stamp):

   Premature end of script headers: /home/herb/public_html/init/login.pl

what changes have to be made to a stock apache config on potato for
cgi/perl to work in the user public_html directories?

the changes i've made so far:

   1) in access.conf (adding ExecCGI to the Options directive in the
   DirectoryMatch directive for the public_html directories)

   2) in srm.conf (adding AddHandler cgi-script .pl .cgi)

## my script works in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ but not in the public_html
directories. i've tried copying the Directory directive for
/usr/lib/cgi-bin word for word to the public_html directive w/ no
effect.

also i've tried this even without cgi-lib.pl, without any difference
on my box (while it works on the university server). here's another
"simple" script that i tried:

   #!/usr/bin/perl -w
   print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
   print <<EOF;
   hi

   EOF

thanks for everyone's help so far. i'm gonna get this to
work...somehow. =)

herbert