Fetchmail doesn't get killed after being run by cron

Hello,

I am running fetchmail as a cron job every half hour. It worked fine until a few days ago. Suddenly, I started to receive the following messages:

Subject: Cron <root@linbox> /usr/bin/fetchmail -f /etc/fetchmailrc --syslog --invisible
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:00:01 +0100

fetchmail: another foreground fetchmail is running at 853.

I have to kill fetchmail by hand to get fetchmail to receive messages again.

Fetchmail checks five mailboxes from three different isp's. I have checked /var/log/syslog and I noticed that fetchmail stalls after checking the first mailbox (or after starting to check the second one). There is no error message in /var/log/syslog. There was no mail in the first mailbox and there (probably) was no mail in the second mailbox as well.

What could be the problem here?

TIA,

Robert-Jan Kuijvenhoven