Re: Problem with pppd and Kernel

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 10:01:51PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:

> Are you running pon as root?  If not, did you add yourself as a ppp user
> when you ran pppconfig? If not, run pppconfig, go to 'Advanced', go to
> 'Add-User', and do so.  If that isn't the problem post the output of plog
> and copies of /etc/chatscripts/<nameofProvider> and
> /etc/ppp/peers/<nameofProvider>.  Munge any passwords.

I don't think that is the main problem. I suspect it is when he compiled his kernel that he
did not properly cp the System.map from /usr/src/linux and backup his /lib/modules/2.2.16 before
doing a make modules_install. Also, for pon to work when logged in as a "normal" user, the user
needs to be added to the "dip" group.

HTH.

Patrick Cheong
patrick.cheong@hitech.com.my