Re: samba or NFS mount

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 05:01:29PM -0500, Debian Ghost wrote:
> Thank you for the reply.
> So samba is the only way to "mount" an NT filesystem? Sounds good...
> Do I need to run a samba server on the linux machine or would the server
> be an application on the NT machine. I went to samba.org/samba to read the
> FAQs and I'm still a little confused as to what I do to get started.

A samba server allows you to export directories from a non-Windows box such
that they look like shared Windows directories.

- Since NT already has the capability to share directories in the way that
Windows does it, there's no need to run a samba server on it.

- Since the Linux box will only be mounting samba shares, not exporting them,
it doesn't need to run a samba server either.  It just needs a samba client,
such as a kernel built with SMB filesystem support.

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+