Re: Log files

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 09:59:08AM -0500, Eileen Orbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Where would I find the log files that contain users activities on my debian
> box?  I am really just wanting the log file that shows what programs they
> accessed etc.

logs of things you would be concerned with are found in
/var/log/auth.log, this will show things such as passwd changes and
shell changes (chsh chfn etc)

for general programs, such as ls, cat, mc, and whatnot there is no
logging.  other then the user's shell history file but looking at that
is called being nosy ;-)

the user can also easily delete this file or set the HISTFILE
environment variable to /dev/null to avoid your nosyness.  even if you
prevent those, they can still just logout by running kill -9 <pid>
where pid is the pid of the login shell.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/