Re: getting XFree (3) to work with geforce MX

Hello,

> well, thanks.. the problem is how to get X running with potato?
> i don't want to tell my father to install woody.
> i guess he will compile xfree 4 on his own if there is no other solution.
> maybe this will break a lot of things (dependencies) so i don't have a good
> fealing about this.. :(
> isn't there ANY way in xfree 3(!) to get a not supported card to work??
> even if it runs in svga compatible mode with only 4mb of detected video ram,
> i wouldn;t care!! but it has to work!
> it would be really a shame if it's not possible.
> and do you think it is possible to compile xfree 4 into potato without huge
> problems?
> i hope somebody can help me. i don't want to believe, that debian is not able
> to handle this situation :(((

You "only" need a Xserver that supports the card the clients can stay
on an older version. I suggest compiling XFree 4.?.? on the machine
with "prefix" set to '/usr/local' (look into the documentation
contained in the XFree-Source how to do this) and install ist. You
then have to use the Xserver from /usr/local. This does not touch the
debina-installed-X. You might be able to install the Xservers from the
new X only. This would minimize side-effects. Of course, customization
containig the Xserver have to be done in '/usr/local/X11R6/...' by hand.

	MfG
	bmg

--
"Des is völlig wurscht, was heut beschlos- | M G Berberich
 sen wird: I bin sowieso dagegn!"          | berberic@fmi.uni-passau.de