Re: simple network card setup (netgear 10/100 tulip)

"J. Bruce Fields" wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Cliff Rice wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 07:43:34AM -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > > I have a Netgear 10/100 card. I am sure it works, and I have used the
> > > same type of card with other distros. In it's "linux.txt" it describes
> > > an object file called "tulip.o", which I assume to be the same as in the
> > > Debian distro (I am using 2.2). I tried first to do "modprobe tulip" and
> > > I get an error from insmod (I think modprobe is just a higher-level
> > > version of insmod, but I am not sure of this. I tried both) like "device
> > > or resource busy" and then something about how I might try changing the
> > > parameters.
> >
> > Hi Jeff, I also use netgear cards.  You may want to try "old_tulip"
> > instead.  Here is the "Ethernet" section of my kernel config file:
> > (This is a custom kernel from www.kernel.org so YMMV on some options...)
> > I also chose to compile it in the kernal, btw.  Oh yeah, kernel is
> > 2.2.17.
>
> I'm using the newest "tulip" driver with a netgear (a FA310TX--the model
> number matters a lot, which is yours?), and it works fine.  See
> http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html, and note that you actually have
> to download 3 different files and compile them seperately from the
> kernel.---jbf

I go those files and comiled them seperately from the kernel. I got
kern_compat.h, pci-scan.c, tulip.c, pci-scan.h (actually that is four, I
assumed those were the right files).

I can't insmod tulip before I insmod pci-scan (unresolved symbols). After I
insmod pci-scan, I still get a "device or resource busy" and something about
changing my IRQ or IO parameters to the module (I don't know how to do this).

in /proc/pci it says little about my card.. that it is io 0xd400 and irq 11,
but it doesn't recognize the type. Is there a way I can send that io address
and irq to the module?
I tried:
~# insmod tulip irq=11
then I get "error invalid parameter parm_irq"

I am not getting my card to work at all and I have spent about 15 hours so far.
I tried a diagnostic tool called "tulip-diag" and I get:

~# ./tulip-diag
I get messages like:
Rx state stopped
Tx state stopped
and it says something about a 10mbps (it is an FA311 10/100)

I am using either a FA311 or FA310 in the computer I am writing this on, and it
works fine (Mandrake & Redhat). It shows much more details info in /proc/pci
like "LiteOn LNE100TX (rev 32)".

If /proc/pci isn't showing good information, how would I get it to work like my
other machines?

Thanks!
    Jeff Davis