Re: NCR53C9x (MCA) SCSI problem with scanner

Shawn D'Alimonte wrote:

> On November 19, 2000 08:49 pm, Lee Elliott wrote:
> > Seems like it's just a conflict between the controller and the
> > scanner because the other devices work ok.  As it crashes anyway,
> > with termination on the controller, try it without.
> >
> > man sane-scsi only briefly refers to the ncr53c8xx controller in the
> > context of 2.0 kernels.  You could try setting the
> > SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI variable to see if anything in the debug
> > messages help.  Also check sane-hp.
>
> I will try that.
>
> I changed the motherboard termination, but that didn't help.  I also
> loaded up Win95 and tried HP's software which worked perfectly.  I
> assume it is not a problem with the controller or setup, but with the
> driver or SANE.
>
> --
> Shawn D'Alimonte   sdalimon@home.com

It's annoying when you load up M$ and it works, but at least you know
the hardware's ok.

Are you using a fairly new kernel?   I suspect something fairly
low-level is going wrong because your system is crashing -  I would hope
that your system wouldn't be brought down if it was a higher level
problem.  In view of that, I'd have a look at the bug lists for entries
against the kernel and sane versions you are using.  I don't know the
url off-hand, but you can get to it via debian.org - I checked it once
for something and started there.

LeeE