Re: what fax software do you suggest?

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 03:54:49PM +0000, Pollywog wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:17:38 -0600, matthschulz said:
>
> > I use efax since about a year and I'm happy with that.
> >
> Does efax also require the use of a fax server (such as Hylafax server) or
> can it send faxes directly?
>
> --
> Andrew

Just noticed that  your  question is  still
unanswered .. I advocated efax as well when
this thread was started.

NO,  efax does not need a background daemon/
server. It  directly  dials and sends fax in
Class 1&2 modems. The interaction is through
command line only ..

For example, to dial the number 633222 using
tone dialing and send a  two-page  fax  from
the TIFF/G3 files letter.001 and  letter.002
using a Class 1 fax modem connected to ttyS0
just type in:

    efax -d /dev/ttyS0 -o1 \
         -t T633222 letter.001 letter.002

And there are  similar one liners which will
retreive fax for you too ..... The man pages
are adequate to get you going quickly ..

HTH

USM Bish