Re: Q: Have to use Lilo?

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 02:45:28PM +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot with Windows and I'm about to remove the latter.

excellent!

> Q: If there is just Linux, then do I still need Lilo?

well yes, lilo is LInux LOader, you need a bootloader to boot
GNU/Linux.  however you don't necessarily need lilo, you could also
use grub which is really quite a bit nicer (but not as easy to setup
IMO)

> Q: How do I get a Linux only boot going?

if your already using lilo just delete any `other=' entries from
/etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo.  make sure that boot=/dev/hda and not
boot=/dev/hda1 or whatever.  (replace hda with whatever device is
appropriate, sda for first scsi disk for example)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/