Thanks, everyone! (was Re: Debian Firewall/Gateway)

    JDP>  On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 06:41:19PM -0500, S.Salman Ahmed
    JDP> wrote: :ever if there was something in there, I wouldn't notice
    JDP> it. Is there a :way to setup IPChains and IPMasquerading to
    JDP> allow any and every type of :traffic ?
    JDP>
    JDP>
    JDP> I can provide the suicide pill, though I don't know why
    JDP> resolving is broken.

Hi Jonathan,

I figured out the problem: the firewall.sh script that is part of the
ipchains-firewall-1.7.2.tar.gz package available from
http://firewall.langistix.com is what I used to setup the firewall and
gateway when I last tried installing Debian on my second box on the
internal net. Something in this script sets up rules and chains such
that name resolution wasn't working.

I wasn't sure how that script had setup the chains and rules, so this
time I decided not to use it and instead went with the default of
allow/ACCEPT for every chain (as you had suggested), together with the
ipmasq package.

And everything worked perfectly! The last 30 minutes or so I had been
installing a new copy of Debian 2.2r1 on my new PIII system with my
current system acting as a gateway/firewall (albeit an unsafe firewall
which allows/ACCEPTs everything).

Once I get this second box setup properly, I will then begin properly
setting up IPChains and IPMasquerading.

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed