ppp Setup

Having just tried to get ppp going on my linux box, I'm asking for a
little help.
I'm used to an ethernet connection to the internet, so ppp is new to
me...

First off, I do have the ppp kernel module installed.

Next, I was using the kppp, and the gnome-ppp programs to set it up.

The modem dials out and connects fine, but as soon as the 'CONNECT'
message is sent from the modem, it immediately hangs up, and I get an
error.

There are two that I can see; one is that it can't find 'interface
ppp0', and the other is that 'pppd died unexpectedly.'

I'm currently using the (woody) distribution of Debian.

Any help would be appreciated...

-Troy