Re: IP namesever

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 04:30:03PM -0500, Bolan Meek wrote:

> > ... ppp connection...IP address of the namesever is necessary to connect [?]
>
> The IP address of the nameserver is not necessary for a ppp connection,
> but it is necessary to have in a "nameserver I.i.P.p" entry in
> /etc/resolv.conf in order to use DNS names rather than IP addresses
> after you've completed the ppp connection.  In fact, if the ISP has
> things
> configured properly, the server shall send the nameserver data, with
> which your configurator ought to create /etc/resolv.conf.  But you'll
> have to make sure that /etc/nsswitch.conf has a "hosts dns" entry,
> yourself.
>
> You may want to read the NET*-HOWTOs and DNS-HOWTO on
> http://www.linuxdoc.org
>
> > sorry about the newbie question.
>
> Don't worry about it:  we've all started as newbie, even the most
> expert of us, of whom I'm not one... yet.

If you're using pppconfig in potato or woody *and* you ISP supports it,
you may be able to use Dynamic IPs.  It works fine for me, there are
scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d and /etc/ppp/ip-down.d that take care of
moving /etc/resolv.conf temporarily while the connection is up.  I don't
think this is supported in Slink (2.1).

--
According to MegaHAL:
    The emu is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace.