Re: Tape backup software?

"Andrew McRobert" <mcrobert@central.murdoch.edu.au> writes:
> I have to say that i find that "tar" covers all bases pretty well ...
> depends what you're used to I guess.

There's at least one issue with tar that's kept me from using it, you
don't want to use software compression with tar. Tar compresses
globally, which means that the whole of the archive is considered one
big compressed file. If something happens to the beginning of the tape
you wouldn't be able to recover any of the data on that tape. This is
in contrast to something like afio which compresses a single file at a
time and then copies it to tape. Of course if you have hardware
compression, or a lot of tapes, this may not be an issue.

Gary