Re: editors and browsers

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 03:32:48PM -0500 Pat Mahoney <pat7@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 03:28:32PM -0400, Thomas Kirsch wrote:
> > 1. Are there any "WYSIWYG" email editors available for Linux? Preferentially
> > any that would run also on Windows?
>
> I believe mahongony is an email client that uses wxWindows toolkit
> and runs in windows and linux.  I don't know about wxWindows in
> Windows, I assume you have to install some package...
>
> It is graphical and full featured but in my experience from several
> months ago (linux version) I'm afraid this mail client is not
> entirely stable. (yes that's a modified quote from Star Wars).

Another graphical linux client, if you're so inclined, is
something called Pronto.  http://www.muhri.net/pronto

I haven't tried it at all, but it looks rather interesting, if
you're into graphical clients.

> > 2. Are there any graphics based web browsers available for Linux other
> > than Netscape? If yes, are there "release versions" of these browsers?

In short, no.  There are lots of projects in the works, but none
that are ready for prime time yet that I know of.

If you're really into using graphical clients, you might consider
using VMware.  That's a virtual machine that lets you switch back
and forth between simultaneous sessions of different OSes, such
as Windows and Linux.  You need some recent hardware to run it
on; its demands are significant.

The real answer to your question, I think, is to consider looking
into the non-graphical equivalents.  Once you understand how the
internet protocols work, text is really the native language you
want to be dealing with.

--
David S. Jackson                        dsj@dsj.net
Ain't nothin' an old man can do for me but bring me