Re: DHCP and 2 cards

> Hi, I have just set my cable modem up under linux and am trying to get
> a firewall up and running.  My local network traffic is handled on
> eth0 and the cable modem traffic is using eth1.  Is there any way I
> can stop DHCP from assigning an IP address to both cards?  I only want
> to get an IP address for eth1 and get DHCP to ignore eth0.

Everything should Just Work as long as everything is on separate ethernet
segments.  This is a rough drawing of how the firewall on my cable modem
is set up here at home:

                            ---------
                            | Cable |
                            | Modem |
                            ---------

                                | <- ethernet cable going to eth1

                           | firewall |

                                | <- ethernet cable coming from eth0 to
                                |    the switch & the rest of the network

What are you using as the dhcp client on eth0?

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien