RE: PPP help (bit 7 set to 0)

Hello,
I did use pppconfig to configure the scripts.
I've used PAP and chat. I can get chat through the login process (ogin: and
ssword:)
but then it establishes a connection and sends LCP ConfReq and does not get
a reply and then I get LCP: timeout.

I will type the scripts into this message (I have no lan or ppp connection
from
the debian box.)

/etc/ppp/peers/provider is:

hide-password
noauth
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/vaix"
debug
/dev/ttyS3
115200
defaultroute
noipdefault
user <username is here>
remotename vaix
ipparam vaix
usepeerdns

my /etc/chatscript/* is:

#modeminit
'' ATZ
#ispnumber
CONNECT ''
ogin: <login here>
ssword: \q<password here>      (should that \q be there?)
'' \d\c

#end

Those are my chatscript files for this connection. I can actually get dialed
up, I see the remote modem ask for ogin: and ssword: and the scripts respond
to that. Then it sets up the serial connection and sends the LCP ConfReq.
Then it repeats that 9 times and gives the message:

(from /var/log/messages and /etc/ppp/log)

LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
Problem: all had bit7 set to 0
Exit.

This is the message I get rather I connect via Chat or PAP. The chat logs in
first, and the PAP will give this message right away. Any help is MUCH
appriciated.

Thank you kindly!

Ashby