Re: how to upgrade debian to 2.2

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 12:52:37AM +0200, Ron Rademaker wrote:
> Just edit the sources.list of apt, I guess it'll be wise to do something
> like:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install ldso
> apt-get install libc6
> apt-get install perl-5.005
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Upgrading ldso, libc6 and perl first will PROBABLY prevent some
> difficulties, but it doesn't mean the upgrade will go completely smooth
> (don't know how the upgrade goes now, but a few months ago I experienced
> problems with libc6 and perl), but I think it won't give you much
> trouble. Maybe you can check out www.debian.org if you can find some more
> details on upgrading to potato.
>
> Ron Rademaker

that'll probably help head off some difficulties for many of us!

how about getting the kernel upgraded as well? what's the
magic incantation there? (apt-get upgrade apparently leaves
the kernel itself alone...)

and how newbie-difficult is it to keep the old kernel around
to put out a fire or two, Just In Case?