Re: Lost Interupt and Dead HD

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, aphro wrote:

> advice i can give ..

<snippage>

> hope this helps, if you have more questions lemme know .

I have seen this problem from time to time and the only cure for it I have
found that appears to work for me is to get into the BIOS and set the
controller for PIO-3 rather than "Auto" as is usually the default. In
other words, FORCE the controller not to use DMA. If that fixes it, bitch
to the Linux kernel list and give motherboard and controller version along
with the make/model of ALL drives on the IDE bus.

I have this problem usually with older motherboards that have both
UltraDMA drives and older units on the same bus. The problem happens with
the UltraDMA drives.