Re: A couple of things I noticed

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 11:19:04AM -0700, Walter Keeler wrote:

> 1) QFE ethernets detected before HME. The Ultra 5 had a QuadFast Ethernet
> card installed; having set up 50 or so in the last six months, I naturally
> assumed that the HME would be the primary network interface. Instead, I
> found out through trial and error that qfe0, the first interface on the
> quad card, came up as eth0, and the happy meal as eth4.

This is all in how the kernel orders it's devices internally. It can be
resolved by having the drivers as modules, and loading them in the order
needed.

> 2) I was unable to compile a 2.2.x kernel. The compilation looked for an
> ultralinux gcc version, which wasn't installed off the slink CD. I found a
> version on the net, but it required glibc 2.1, while slink installed with
> 2.0, so I never did get the 2.2.x kernel built. (I am working with a CD I
> bought from Linux Central.)

The package is called egcs64 and is available in the slink distribution.

> I thought I remembered reading on this list that slink for Sparc installed
> glibc 2.1, but both my Ultra 5 at work and my Sparc 5 at home came up with
> 2.0.

The Debian Slink/SPARC distribution was based on glibc 2.0.105, a prerelease
of the glibc 2.1 (glibc 2.1 was not complete at the time of release). Our
current potato has glibc 2.1.1, and is fairly simple to upgrade to.

> BTW, unrelated to Sparc: Are there any plans to offer an enhanced
> installation environment (a real shell instead of ash, nice suite of tools
> to use in case of problems booting, etc.) on future versions of bootable
> CD-ROMs? The current cramped install environment makes sense when floppies
> are the preferred installation method, but these days, wouldn't it make
> sense to offer both the stripped-down version and a beefier one?

Although we are talking about CDROM's, the fact is the format of bootable
CD's must be the same as a floppy. I'm not exactly sure of the technical
reasons for this, but it is my understanding.

Ben