Re: Proposed patch for binutils x32 support

On 08.06.2012 05:36, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> I've been spending some time this week bootstrapping an x32 chroot on my
> machine.  Right now I have the basics compiled and installed (and packed up
> into dummy .deb files without any dependencies or anything).  So now I'm going
> through and trying to compile the actual Debian packages.
>
> Here's the patch I applied to binutils to get it to support x32 multiarch
> directories.  I tested that it does allow me to link against libraries in
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnux32 (libapt-pkg.so to be exact), which I couldn't
> before.
>
> So I thought I'd post the patch for comments first.  Anything glaringly wrong
> with it, or missing from it?  If it looks OK, I'll go ahead and file a wishlist
> bug against binutils to get it applied.

do you need that for wheezy? if not, I would like to go ahead and base this on
binutils trunk, which should go into experimental.

> (As for the other major toolchain components: glibc/eglibc will have to wait
> for an upgrade for any x32 updates to be incorporated, as x32 support is only
> available starting in 2.15.  And for gcc-4.7, I'd need to generate a patch to
> incorporate HJ's branch implementing the --with-abi=mx32 option.)

I think the major will be the gcc packaging. maybe the mips triarch support can
be reused (libn32XXX), but at a first glance the naming of the macros is tightly
coupled with the package names itself.

  Matthias