More packages tested with the new Lapack

Dear Debian toolchain,

I have got some more good news. I just tried out Octave 2.9 with the
shiny new lapack3gf, and it works pretty OK. I am NOT providing the
debs or source packages, since I don't want many duplicate packages
floating around. Therefore, I just mention the steps I followed:

1. In my sid chroot, get all build dependencies.

2. Observe that of the dependencies, libsuitesparse Build-Depends on
lapack3-dev. So, first get it to work. It already uses gfortran, so
all I had to do was rebuild it with the new lapack3-dev and
refblas3-dev. In some Makefiles, however, I got some linking troubles,
with the linker unable to resolve _gfortran_runtime_error. That was
easily worked around by adding -lgfortran to those lines.

3. Get octave2.9. Bump the Build-Depend on g++ to g++ (>= 4.1.x) to
plain g++, and Build-Depend on the new lapack3-dev and refblas3-dev,
and build the package to arrive at an octave executable whose ldd
doesn't have libg2c (BTW, libg2c isn't even installed). And, before I
forget, Octave also does math! :-)

So, I think we can now assume that the building of Lapack with
gfortran is no problem, since Lapack upstream themseves have provided
the Makefile for using gfortran. I now request people to have a look
at Camm's patches and apply them one by one, on a need basis.

Once you have checked the patches and merged the documentation, I
think we can upload it to experimental. So, please do contribute to
this when you have free time.

Also, I would request someone to upload the lapack3 package to
Alioth's collab-maint (I just remembered that I may also 5Bhave rights
to do so!). Would anyone mind if I put it on collab-maint Git, or
would svn be preferable? Also, do you think it is OK to upload it to
collab-maint in the current state, or would you recommend that more
work be done on it before we upload it there?

I am away during the weekend, and will be back early next week, and
will try to help out by testing more packages in my chroot.

HTH.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,