avr cross compiler

[CC to debian-toolchain]

Hakan Ardo writes:
 > On Mon, Nov 20, 2000, Matthias Klose wrote:
 > >  > I beleve I
 > >  > sent you a patch that would be needed for gcc3, but it has now been
 > >  > incoperated with the main cvs source, so it's no longer needed:
 > >
 > > Yes, it's in gcc-2.95.2-18 as well.
 > >
 > > The gcc-snapshot-20001117 package does not yet have the cross compiler
 > > support. There will be more changes to the build procedures, so I
 > > think it's not worth porting the cross-compiler patch now. And then I
 > > have to start a discussion about Source-Depends. What I have in mind:
 > > Don't build the cross compilers in the gcc package, but in a
 > > cross-gcc-<arch> package, which expects the source package in the
 > > parent directory. These packages are tightly coupled, but you don't
 > > have to build all compilers when building the native one.
 > >
 > > Please see the debian-toolchain mailing lists for further information.
 >
 > I've been reading this list, but there dosn't seem to be happening much in
 > this respect. Do you think there's any chans of getting those Source-Depends
 > of yours implemented before the next freeze?

hmm, I really don't know ...

 > Otherwise I would sugest we try
 > to get the current solution ported to gcc-snapshot (keeping in mind that we
 > maybe have to pull it out later on).

gcc-snapshot is now named gcc-2.97. The problem I do have is the
following: acceptance of new gcc packages for all architectures. It's
difficult (for example) to get the m68k maintainers to build new gcc
versions. If I add yet another two or three cross compilers, this
reduces acceptance to a minimum. So yes, I can include updated cross
compiler support, but I won't enable it by default (at least until
gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-3.0 become final and at least one version is built
for each architecture).

 > I noticed that you havn't you uploaded a avr-gcc package. Did you expect me
 > to do that? I'd be happie to if you want me to :) Is it by the way
 > acceptable by our policy to do this kind of binary only uploads?

That would be a nice solution. Not sure if this is acceptable by
policy? TARGET=avr dpkg-buildpackge ...