Re: texlive and tlmgr

Hi,

Simple answer: no.

Bit longer answer: There is no way that two package managers
(Debian's apt and TL's tlmgr) an work together.

I have seen patches to tlmgr that changes it to download the TL package,
converts it into a distribution package that installs into
/usr/local/share/texmf, but I don't like this approach.

I honestly believe that people have simply upgraditis if they
are in soo bad need for tlmgr.

On Sa, 21 Apr 2012, Koen Wybo wrote:
> The last 3-4 years I've been using Texlive installed with the
> texlive-installer from dvd. The graphical interface ``tlmgr -gui'' to
> update the packages to the latest versions works like a charm. When I

Thanks, nice to hear. I wrote it.

> I can think of some arguments not to include a tlmgr in debian (packages
> can't be installed/updated the debian-way, a lot of dependencies with
> other tex-related packages like writer2latex or annotation-programs
> would have to be revised),  but what are the arguments not to go for it?

See above. THere are requirements in the Debian Policy, that *cannot*
be ignored.

> There are hundreds of packages on CTAN.org and maintaining them is a lot
> of work, not to mention packaging them. So why not working together with
> CTAN and include there update-tool? There can be some 'magic' in

First, it is not a CTAN tool, but tlmgr was written by the TL team
(mostly me) for TeX Live. CTAN is the distribution channel (of course
we TL team are collaborating in many ways with CTAN, without them
TeX Live and the whole TeX world would look bleak).

Secondly, the packaging format is completely different.
Thirdly, a package has to be included in the Debina archive
and be distributed through Debian.

> maintained repository for CTAN files? Why not a debian version of ``TeX
> Live Utility'' which is an interface to tlmgr on mac?

What would be the use????

You are talking about a tool that does things, that Debian does *ALL*
already automaticaly for you!!!
- package updates will come in automatically
- creating for formats, map files is all automatized and adapted
  to debian requirements

What is it that you need a shiny GUI that does nothing more or better
most things less proper than the Debian way itself?

> I hope i do not offend anyone with this email, I'm just asking some
> (dumb) questions.

It is only that this question has popped up already many times, and
I don't know how many times I have answered it, not only for Debian,
but also Suse etc etc etc.

HORTON-CUM-STUDLEY (n.)
The combination of little helpful grunts, nodding movements of the
head, considerate smiles, upward frowns and serious pauses that a
group of people join in making in trying to elicit the next
pronouncement of somebody with a dreadful stutter.