Re: trigger question for tex-common

Hi Ian,

On Mi, 25 Mär 2009, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Ideas for solutions:
> >
> > What about calling
> > 	dpkg-trigger /etc/texmf/language.d
> > and
> > 	dpkg-trigger /etc/texmf/updmap.d
> > in the postinst off those packages using it? In that case we could drop
> > the file trigger completely and depend on the postinst calling dpkg-trigger.
>
> Yes.  This is the right solution.  You should rename the trigger so
> that it is not a file trigger.  Eg, in texmf's DEBIAN/triggers
>   interest texmf-language
>   interest texmf-updmap

That was the code I was testing ATM when my laptop's harddisk broke. I
was just rebuilding all texlive packages with an internal test version
of tex-common doing that, besides it was called tex-updmap ;-)

> You probably don't want to call dpkg-trigger directly in
> texlive-lang-german's postinst.

Why? It would be added by dh_installtex.

> Presumably texlive-lang-german calls some script from tex-common to do
> this final setup ?  That is, the final setup which is also read by
> update-* ?  In which case, update-* should (when run from a package's
> postinst) call dpkg-trigger.

Hmmm, currently the calls to update-* are done in the trigger action.
But we could switch dh_installtex to place simply the update-* calls
into the postinst of packages, and then update-* scripts in turn are
calling dpkg-trigger.

Do you think this is the better/cleaner solution?
(Well, for what regards code I guess the postinst-tex which is the base
of code added to postinst would become much simpler, so that would be a
good reason)

Is there a reason to call dpkg-trigger *only* when update-* is called
from maintainer scripts? Or is it ok to call dpkg-trigger if root is
calling dpkg-trigger from a shell?

(There are more problems here since also users can call update-* scripts
in which case they behave differently, so we would have to reduce the
call to dpkg-trigger to calls done by root).

I will not be able to work on the bunch without my laptop, but maybe
someone else from the TeX group here might get his hands dirty.

WYOMING (participial vb.)
Moving in hurried desperation from one cubicle to another in a public
lavatory trying to find one which has a lock on the door, a seat on
the bowl and no brown steaks on the seat.