Re: trigger question for texinfo/install-info

Norbert Preining writes ("Re: trigger question for texinfo/install-info"):
> I was simply and alwys looking into /usr/share/doc/dpkg/triggers.txt.gz,
> that is my reference. And there was only mentioned a triggers file, but
> nothing about the actual implementation (package.triggers for defining
> triggers for a single binary package in a source package with more
> binary packages).

Perhaps we are having some kind of desperate misunderstanding here.
I was going to ask whether you were actually a package maintainer but
I see from Maintainers that you are.

> I would suggest that the man page of
> 	deb-triggers

I hadn't previously looked at this manpage.  I had assumed that it was
just a copy of triggers.txt.gz with extra formatting.  However I see
that it's not.

I think that deb-triggers(5) in its current form is not useful.
Worse, it is a blind alley because it will appear in search results
but not even contain a reference to the full specification.  I have
filed a bug asking for it to be removed.

> mentions that:
> - trigger files can be made package specific (like all others) using
>   debhelper and package.triggers
> - that dh_installdeb is the responsible dh call

This kind of thing is something that a package maintainer should
either know or be able to find out easily.  If you were aware of
triggers.txt.gz then didn't that answer your question ?

Ian.