Re: XeLaTeX and CID

Thanks for the quick reply!

Op 28-05-08 01:20, schreef Werner LEMBERG:

> What are the `non-free CID font support data'?  Adobe's CMap files?

Indeed, sorry for the Babylonic error here.

> It's xdvipdfmx which automatically generates CID-keyed subfonts.

But xdvipdfmx doesn't need any of the Adobe CMaps to compile and be viewable
to everyone, right?

>> Does it even constitute problems WRT the DFSG?  Even if I use DFSG-free
>> fonts, would the upcoming package "latex-cjk-xcjk" still have to resort under
>> "contrib" or even "non-free" because the example file I intend to provide,
>> has Type1C fonts in it?
>
> Some terminology: Type1C is a Type 1 font in CFF format (this is much
> more compact than the PFA or PFB representation).  CID-keyed fonts
> depend on external CID CMaps for creation or reading of PDFs.
> However, the PDF files themselves *don't* contain CMap files at all,
> thus such PDF files can't cause problems with the DFSG.

If XeLaTeX needs these CMaps in order to create the PDF files, even if it
doesn't include them in the PDF itself, then there might be a problem here,
and latex-cjk-xcjk (or -xelatex, I haven't decided yet) would have to be in
Debian's "contrib" repository instead of "main".

Best regards

--
Danai SAE-HAN (韓達耐)

題目:《活水亭觀書有感》