Trouble about tetex-base installation & babel

Hello,

I am using a fresh ubuntu/dapper distribution, and i have some trouble about tex/latex, babel and hyphenation.

I installed tetex-base (3.0-15build1) and it seem you are the mainteners of this one :) Note that i installed almost everything i could find about tex/latex available with my distrib.

Well, here's the problem :

when i compile *any* latex file, using \usepackage[francais]{babel} (same with "french", "frenchb" or even "catalan") i got this message :

---

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
entering extended mode
(./lettre_cifre.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for loaded.
---

I think there should be something after the "hyphenation patterns for...".

Susbsequently, i got :

---
Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
(babel)                the language `French'
(babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.
---

This is the first time i have this kind of problem. I tried removing everything about tex/latex (with --purge option with apt-get) and reinstalling, but it is the same.

This looks particularly wierd since, as i search on the internet i just find answer about people having no hyphenation for one particular language, not for every one of them.

I am also using a dapper, upgraded from breezy, upgraded from hoary at home, and doesnt have this problem either.
My english is not that fine, and it's hard for me to express what i mean. If you speak french, i invite you to read http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=40750 where i ask the same question.

I might be wrong, but i think the problem come from the distribution package, since i dont have any problem elsewhere (and someone on ubuntu-fr answered he has exactly the same error).

I hope you can help me, i'll be glad to answer any question you have about this.

Since i'm here, i'd like to thank you for your job, since i've been using tex/latex and debian/ubuntu successfully for a long time now.

--
Emmanuel Prochasson - eprochasson@free.fr