Re: Ping ... still messed up archive ...

Hi!

> > That could indeed be the reason.  I will disable it and recompile it
> > tonight.  So Fontforge will make use of libuninameslist even if used
> > non-interactively (with scripts)?
> Yes, it also gets stuff like ligature information from that library.
> Having incorrect ligature information was the reason this bug in the old
> packages was discovered.

IC.  But I don't know how to disable libuninameslist when compiling.
./configure --help has no such option, so it seems.

> > In my case Fontforge converts TTF
> > to Type1 .pfb fonts, so Unicode names is pretty much useless IMHO.
> > And there's no way to disable libuninameslist, at least according to
> > the manpage.
> >
> > I'll recompile the package, and see what it gives.  Eventually I will
> > contact the upstream author and describe my problems.
> In case it doesn't help, I think there have been some changes to the
> quadratic -> cubic spline converter need for TTF -> Type1 conversion.
> Maybe the new algorithm isn't the most efficient one.

That could also be it.

> Do I undertsand you correctly, that you do the TTF -> Type1 conversion
> every time you build the packages? If the TTF fonts are rather stable, I
> think it would be a good idea to separate out this step. A radical
> approach would be to include the Type1 fonts together with a script used
> for conversion in a repacked orig.tar.gz. I am sure there are other,
> less extreme possibilities. Maybe ask upstream to include the Type1
> fonts, too? Note: I know next to nothing about the structure of your
> packages.

Yes, the package depends on the Arphic TTF packages, so I just make a
symlink in the build/ directory.  The TTF fonts are very stable: since
their release, Arphic Technology Co. hasn't published an update.

But I don't understand your radical approach: I don't think I need
such a conversion script.  Here's what my packages do:

 - symlink the TTF files to build/
 - run a few but very CPU-intensive Fontforge and Perl scripts on them
 - make a Debian package

I read in the Debian policy that it was advised to use pristine
sources as much as possible.  And since there are some Type1/pfb
updates in Fontforge, I prefer to have the Type1 fonts recompiled
every time, even if it takes a few hours.

But now it's taking 24 hours on my computer.  So I would like to know
if it's libuninameslist or the quadratic->cubic spline conversion.  I
haven't had the time yet to send an email to the Fontforge devel
list about this.

Best regards

Danai SAE-HAN
韓達耐