Re: Problem with the "updmap scheme" when a font package is in an "inconsistent state"

Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:

> What we would like to do is have update-updmap ignore 10lmodern.cfg not
> only when lmodern is removed-but-not-purged (which works, as usual), but
> also when its conffiles (here, 10lmodern.cfg) haven't been updated to
> the last version (by dpkg).
>
> I think this can be done by testing for the existence of
> /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10lmodern.cfg.dpkg-new, but it's a bit ugly.
> If someone has a better idea, I'm all ears. :-)

An alternative would be to rename the conffile, and document that.
However, then we have the problem how to preserve local changes.

Yet an other option, although probably quite complicated, could be to
extend the syntax of /var/lib/tex-common/fontmap-cfg/*list, and not only
list the files to be included, but also the lines that can be in there.
This would include all map files installed by that version, so the user
can still switch between monolithic and many-maps.  But if the conffile
lists files that are not installed currently, the conffile would be
ignored.

This would mean to restrict the options of the local admin, and force
him to use local conffiles for real local additions.  While this means
"less freedom", it might actually be a good thing.  Or not; I'm unsure.

Debian Developer (teTeX)