Re: Providing an up-to-date TeX system for etch: teTeX, TeXlive, or what?

Hi alltogether!

On Mon, 13 Mär 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> will just dist-upgrade their system and end up with teTeX-3.0, which was

Yup, this is true.

> other hand, if we handle TeXlive a little aggressively, uploading betas
> of the 2006 release to unstable as soon as possible, we can hope to get
> a fairly recent TeXlive collection into etch.

And if more people are testing the packages. I am planning to send the
next version 2005-2 to Neil McGovern <maulkin@halon.org.uk> soon, after
it has run on my laptop for quite some time (a few days) and has
processed enough TeX files that I am sure at least some things work.
In the meantime, you are invited to either take the packages from
experimental or use the new packages
	deb(-src) http://www.tug.org/texlive/Debian/ pool/
(Release is signed with my public key).

If you aptitude install texlive than the switch from tetex should work
but ONLY if you make the following prior to the aptitude call:
echo "# -_- DebPkgProvidedMaps -_-" >> /etc/texmf/fmt.d/01tetex.cnf
(it is missing the magic header, already fixed in svn).

THis will bring you: fonts-recommended, latx-recommended, context.
No languages, no special thrills, a small system (well, more or less
small).

Concerning the dist-upgrade problem:

> 1. Update selected programs in tetex-bin (pdfTeX, xdvi [1]), don't
>    touch the rest, especially not the TEXMF trees

I am not sure, but maybe something similar as with the pdfoutput problem
will occur. If we update tetex binaries, maybe some changes in tetex
bins are not compatible with the version of packages in tetex-base.

> 2. Decide that TeXlive be the default TeX system in Debian, and keep
>    teTeX only for package building purposes for etch.

This doesn't help, as most people will - as you said - dist_upgrade.

> 3. An intermediate solution: Create the possibility that updated
>    binaries from TeXlive can be used with teTeX, e.g. using
>    alternatives.

Or use the binaries from TeX live in packages of tetex-bin. No idea how
this could be managed, but from what I see all the binaries are there,
although split over some packages. In principle we could build a
tetex-bin package *FROM* the texlive-bin sources. For sure a lot of
adjustments would be necessary, but it could be done.

> 1. + Automatic updates of all systems that have TeX installed
>    + The amount of work can be controlled well, hopefully
>    - No updates of TEXMF trees
>    - duplication of work, we already have TeXlive

At least the las point could be circumvented by using the texlive
sources for building tetex-bin. But the problem with the old TEXMF tree
is still present.

> 2. + Most up-to-date system, including updated TEXMF trees
>    + Easy to implement, but:
>    - How can we achieve an automatic upgrade?

I can't immagine a way how we can make this happen without special user
intervention.

> 3. + Easy switching, should something break
>    - rather a hack
>    + Implementing the automatic upgrade is probably easier.

No comment on this.

AMLWCH (n.)
A British Rail sandwich which has been kept soft by being regularly
washed and resealed in clingfilm.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff