Re: Differences between stable and unstable tetex --- bugs?

On Don, 09 Mär 2006, Land Haj wrote:
> * Running latex on the same .tex-file in unstable and in the chroot produces two different documents, as I explained in the first post.

THis is not very surprising as the versions of memoir and other packages
in unstable are from teTeX3, while those in stable are from teTeX2. So
there are something like 3 year (I am not sure) difference between this,
and as memoir and other packages are in constant development, you cannot
expect that everything stays the same.

> * Running ps2pdf on the same .ps-file in unstable and in the chroot produces a faulty document (wrong right margin) in unstable and a correct document in the chroot.

THis is strange, but might have several reasons:
- again used packages changed the layout slightly
- ps2pdf is based on ghostscript, and the versions of gs in unstable and
  stable are different. I myself hat problems with some postscript files
  when using gs-esp, only gs-aladdin did work.

> The first of these issues worry me the most: will I have to go through all my old .tex-files again to be sure they produce as good a result in etch as they did in sarge and potato? I mean: is this a bug or a difference between an older and a newer tetex?

Yes, for sure yes. THis happens often. The assumptions that a document
formats completely the same is only true when you use the exact same
input files, not changed ones.

If you don't mind, you could do the following here:
- post a stripped down version of the TeX code, down to 2 or 4 pages
- post the old dvi file
- post the old pdf file (?)
Then maybe one will (MAYBE!) take a look, but I don't guarantee
anything.

FIUNARY (n.)
The safe place you put something and then forget where it was.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff