Re: please remove passivetex from testing (was: passivetex: destroys local configuration)

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:51:35AM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Frank, hi Steve!

> On Don, 12 Jan 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> > source package or anywhere in Debian (main).  Thus it seems the package
> > is not even functional.

> On Don, 12 Jan 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > However, gstreamer0.8 has a build-dependency on it, and I think we might
> > miss that.  Do you have a solution for gstreamer0.8?

> I could do the following: Take the sources from texlive (where
> passivetex was excluded due to its existence in debian) and try to fix
> the passivetex packages. It shouldn't be too complicated, but probably
> would be a complete rewrite of the scripts/rules.

> Would this be ok for NMU?

Not really; it sounds like a hijacking to me.  Of course, the maintainer
field lists a mailing list, and there are no uploaders listed, so I'm not
sure anybody *cares*, but it's still not the sort of change to make unless
you're prepared to maintain the package long-term.  Which also probably
means going through the orphaning process first.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:00:56PM +0100, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
> On 12.01.06 Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 06:41:47PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:

> Hi *,

> > > I was about to create a patch for the package, but I discovered
> > > more issues.  Most notably, the Makefile in the example directory
> > > fails because it cannot find a file "tei.xsl", which does not
> > > exist in the source package or anywhere in Debian (main).  Thus
> > > it seems the package is not even functional.

> > However, gstreamer0.8 has a build-dependency on it, and I think we
> > might miss that.  Do you have a solution for gstreamer0.8?

> I could build the docs of gstreamer0.8 without having passivetex
> installed. I could not test the full build as it gave an FTBFS at
> another place, which was definitely not caused by missing passivetex.
> As Frank stated passivetex is not functional the generated doccs
> should not look different than without passivetex.

Then if Norbert opts not to adopt passivetex, it sounds like an RC bug
against gstreamer0.8 asking it not to depend on passivetex would be the
answer?