Re: teTeX and TeX Live interoperability

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 14:03 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Does anybody know why TEXMFMAIN is before TEXMFLOCAL?  I suspect the
> reason is that in Thomas' standard setup, the contents of TEXMFMAIN are
> what comes with tetex-src, or tetex-bin in Debian terms, and TEXMFMAIN's
> precedence avoids to use wrong pool files that accidently get into
> TEXMFLOCAL.

I don't know, but your suspicion sounds plausible to me.

> > In most cases, I would expect TeX Live to be more recent.
>
> Thas also depends on whether Norbert is going to package snapshots into
> unstable, and lets them migrate to testing, or not.
[...]
> It also depends on the way texlive development works - are there
> functional snapshots at all, a quarter of a year after the release?

>From my point of view it looks best to use a 'conservative approach' of
having TeX Live behind teTeX. The local admin can always change this if
(s)he knows what (s)he is doing. I think this makes sense even for TeX
Live users, since the only reason for them to install tetex-extra would
be that teTeX is more uptodate than TeX Live at that time.

cheerio
ralf