Re: Font problems with pdflatex

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, Joerg Sommer wrote:
>> Do pdflatex have problems finding the correct font?
>>
>> \documentclass[draft,german,12pt]{scrartcl}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \begin{document}
>> Some text to see if the output looks good in xpdf.
>> \end{document}
>>
>> The pdf looks very ugly in xpdf.
>
> No. Probably (I don't know) not *all* lm-fonts are installed on tetex.

The lm (lmodern) fonts are not installed by tetex-*_3.0 at all - they
are in a separate package lmodern.  The only drop-in-replacements for
computer modern fonts in type1 format are the bluesky fonts (bsr.map),
and this hasn't changed since tetex_2.0.2.

> If you want to use type1-ec (=T1) fonts, it is a good idea to use
> \usepackage{type1ec}

Or \usepackage{ae}, with its known drawbacks.  type1ec requires the
cm-super fonts, doesn't it?  They are available in a separate package,
too (only in unstable), and I don't know how it works together with
teTeX-3.0 on Debian.

But since Jörg says that he used to produce "nice" pdf files with
tetex-2.0.2, could it be that the cm-super fonts are installed locally
and just are no longer found after the upgrade?

> GLASSEL (n.)
> A seaside pebble which was shiny and interesting when wet, and which
> is now a lump of rock, which children nevertheless insist on filing
> their suitcases with after the holiday.
> 			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

s/filing/filling/ ;-)