Re: Postponing postinst stuff for later execution

uwe@steinmann.cx (Uwe Steinmann) wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 06:53:32PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> Do you know whether there have been any cases where a buggy zope package
>> caused the restart to fail?  And if yes, what will happen (error
>> messages, what state are which packages in, and dpkg as a whole)?
> I haven't had a case, but from looking at the mechanism used there
> aren't many potential points of failure. Each zope extension package
> just needs to create a file or not. In the worst case the postinst
> script of the zope extension fails to create the file and doesn't
> restart zope itself.

So the zope case is really simple

> I wouldn't mind if the tetex package offer something similar. I
> personaly have many styles and fonts put into individual debian
> packages. Installing more than 5 at a time is very anoying since
> it takes for ever.

I would be glad if we could do it.  But in the last months, nearly every
action we were/are doing in a postinst script failed somewhere, even a
"cp -a".  And if things can fail, it won't be clear who is responsible
if we take the zope approach.