update-updmap doesn't run

I ran into trouble with update-updmap.  After adding a file to
/etc/texmf/updmap.d/ I expected update-updmap to create a new
file updmap.conf for later use by updmap.

However, with a virgin unstable system this didn`t work with the following
comment:

openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips# update-updmap
Didn't run update-updmap as you requested!
openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips#

The problem is that I didn't request it not to run.  Investigating the
problem the source is:

However, with a virgin unstable system this didn`t work with the following
comment:

VARD=/var/lib/texmf/web2c
if [ -L "${VARD}/updmap.cfg" ]; then
    echo "Didn't run update-updmap as you requested!"
    exit 0
fi

On a virgin sid system

openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips# ls -l /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 21 Jun  1  2003 /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg -> /etc/texmf/updmap.cfg
openeye:/etc/texmf/dvips#

So the file is indeed a symbolic link, rendering update-updmap unusable.
This will at least render arabtex and its fonts unaccessable and hence
sort of unusable.

I wonder if this is the desired behaviour.

I didn't file a bug report yet since I'd like to hear from you first.

After commenting out the above test update-updmap doesn't work as
expected since now the link from above is a file and /etc/texmf/updmap.cfg
is a different file.

I wonder if the link is pointing into the wrong direction?
i.e. it should be /etc/texmf/updmap.cfg -> /var/lib/foo
instead of the other way round.  updmap seems to read the
file in var instead of the file in /etc, though...

Regards,

	Joey

--
"Bindestriche sucken sowieso."                 "Magnus, Sie sind raus!"