Re: question about dh_installxfonts

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 09:00:21AM +0100, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While working on #225004 and looking at #112140 we had a short
> discussion: We want to register some Postscript Type1-fonts using
> update-fonts-*. The package, which will call that command in its
> postin script needs to have a depend on xutils, but which version?
> >= 4.0.3 like it is written in the policy and automatically done by
> dh_installxfonts or (>= 4.1.0-12), cause there has been a changlog
> entry for update-fonts-*?
> I.e. is it sufficient to put in a ${misc:Depends} and leave the rest
> to dh_installxfonts or do we have to depend on xutils (>= 4.1.0-12)?

Here's the changelog entry in question:

  * debian/local/update-fonts-{alias,dir,scale}: issue more warnings when
    these commands are misused

This is not an interface change, so it's not necessary to update the
versioning of the dependency.

For what it's worth, there have been several changes to the update-fonts
utilities since 4.1.0-12:

xfree86 (4.2.1-13) unstable; urgency=low
[...]
  * Improve efficiency of maintainer scripts and programs by using POSIX shell
    parameter expansion (instead of using command substitution to run basename
    on a shell variable argument).
    - debian/local/dexconf
    - debian/local/update-fonts-alias
    - debian/local/update-fonts-dir
    - debian/local/update-fonts-scale
    - debian/xserver-common.postinst.in
    - debian/xserver-common.postrm.in
    - debian/xserver-common.preinst.in
    - debian/xserver-xfree86.config.in
    - debian/xserver-xfree86.postinst.in
    - debian/xserver-xfree86.postrm.in
    - debian/xserver-xfree86.preinst.in
    - debian/xserver-xfree86.prerm.in
[...]
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:43:26 -0500

xfree86 (4.2.1-7) unstable; urgency=medium
[...]
  * debian/{local/update-fonts-{dir,scale}},rules,xserver-common.postinst.in,
    xserver-xfree86.config.in}: invoke head, tail, and diff commands in a
    POSIXly correct fashion (thanks, Paul Eggert) (Closes: #191669)
[...]
  * debian/local/update-fonts-scale: only write fonts to the .scale file that
    actually exist, so that removed-but-not-purged scalable font packages do
    not register nonexistent fonts; this has the desirable side effect that
    the count at the top of the file is also omitted (based on a patch by
    Roland Rosenfeld) (Closes: #193185)
[...]
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Thu, 29 May 2003 11:24:29 -0500

xfree86 (4.2.1-4) unstable; urgency=low
[...]
  * debian/local/update-fonts-{alias,dir,scale}: reworked diagnostic messages
    a bit; produce them with shell functions
  * debian/local/update-fonts-{alias,dir,scale}.8: updated; added sections on
    operands and diagnostics; other minor edits
[...]
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Mon, 18 Nov 2002 04:24:48 -0500

xfree86 (4.2.0-0pre1v3) unstable; urgency=low
[...]
  * patch #077: new; define DriverManSuffix as 4x and MiscManSuffix as 7x on
    GNU and Linux systems per suggestion from Colin Watson (see #157020)
    (Closes: #85297)
[...]
  * debian/local/{XF86Config.7,Xsession.5,Xsession.options.5,
    Xwrapper.config.5,dexconf.8,update-fonts-alias.8,update-fonts-dir.8,
    update-fonts-scale.8,xdm.options.5,xfs.options.5,xvfb-run.1}: update
    manpage reference to reflect change from patch #077 (see above)
[...]
  * debian/local/update-fonts-alias: only start writing new alias file if
    there are any aliases to process (thanks, Ian Zimmerman) (Closes: #144780)
 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:40:39 -0500

However, none of these are changes to the way the commands are invoked,
and none of them change the expected behavior.  Thus, in my opinion, the
Policy Manual doesn't need to be updated.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Religious bondage shackles and
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     debilitates the mind and unfits it