Re: libkpathsea3 incompatibility problem

Hi,

The funny thing is, 16 out of all 33 affected packages are maintained
by a single person; that's me.

> Package: spawx11
> Package: vflib3
> Package: dvi2ps
> Package: jtex-bin
> Package: spawg
> Package: ptex-bin
> Package: dvi2dvi
> Package: vflib3-bin
> Package: xgdvi
> Package: tex-guy
> Package: jbibtex-bin
> Package: jmpost
> Package: multex-bin
> Package: dvipsk-ja
> Package: dvilib2
> Package: xdvik-ja

Also noted that much of them are not widely used(some are basically
for Japanese).

> So now what do we do?  Presumably, all of these packages will break
> once the new libkpathsea3 is installed, so here are the obvious

> (1) File RC bugs against all of these packages, requiring them to
>     recompile against the newer libkpathsea3, and have versioned
>     Conflicts: with the old versions of these dozen or so packages.

Usually (1) is a disaster(think about libpng turmoil), but in this
case it might be a not-so-bad choice.

> (2) Change the so version number of the libkpathsea library to 4, even
>     though this matches nothing in the upstream, and provide an old
>     libkpathsea3 package in oldlibs for compatibility (this would be a
>     source package entirely separate from tetex-bin derived from the
>     old teTeX sources).

> (3) Like (2), but change the so version number to 0 to indicate
>     unstable interface.

> I prefer (2) or (3).  Other comments?

(2) or (3) is ok, but I usually don't want to introduce "Debian-only"
hacks.

Anywise I'd like to hear from other maintainers concerned.

Best regards,
MH

--
Masayuki Hatta