Re: test package of teTeX beta(20020911)

From: Christian Leutloff <leutloff@sundancer.oche.de>
Subject: Re: test package of teTeX beta(20020911)
Date: 26 Sep 2002 15:39:34 +0200

> Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> writes:
>
> > BTW, is it better to upload these packages to experimental
> > than put them in my home page ?
>
> Why not to unstable!? I've installed your packages from your homepage
> and everything works really fine. Thanks a lot!

Well, they will work in most cases but it is sure that
there remains problems...

The most important problem I can tell is many conffiles
of tetex-base (mostly for dvips) are not installed under
/etc yet.

They were gathered under /usr/../dvips/config in the former
released version but, in the beta release, they are scattered
in subdirectories under /usr/../dvips/ so a simple symlink
/etc/texmf/dvips to /usr/../dvips/config does not work.

This seems a bit annoying problem.

If one provided subdirectories under /etc/texmf/dvips/,
for example /etc/texmf/dvips/psnfss which included the conffiles
for psnfss, and symlinked them to /usr/../dvips/psnfss/* then
packaging will be very easy but, according to Policy, one should
ask a user if he would move existing conffiles to new subdirectories.
For example, we should ask a user if he would move
/etc/texmf/dvips/psnfss.map to /etc/texmf/dvips/psnfss/psnfss.map
or not in preinst.  There are so many files in this situation,
in fact, so I think this is a difficult part in this case.

If one gathered conffiles under /etc/texmf/dvips/ as the
current tetex-base (even this will be a bit tedious work),
then one should create symlynks to appropriate subdirectories.
For example /etc/texmf/dvips/psnfss.map -> /usr/../dvips/psnfss/psnfss.map
So, I guess, packaging is rather difficult in this case.

# I am now trying the latter method.

Anyway, I believe it will be necessary that we are ready
to upload the new teTeX when it is released.

I welcome any feedback.

Best regards,			2002/9/27

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima