Re: author causes error with amsart

From: "C.M. Connelly" <c@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: author causes error with amsart
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 01:53:24 -0700

> Atsuhito,
>
> You're right, this error *is* caused by the author ;-).

I guessed so too ;-)

>    AK> When one uses amsart.cls of amslatex 2.0 with
>    AK> \author{Atsuhito Kohda \\ Tokushima University} and
>    AK> \maketitle, the error occurs like
>
> I see the same thing.  However, the AMS document classes don't
> support what you want to do.  The \author command is for
> specifying the author's name *only* (an optional argument can give
> a short form of the name for headers); information about the
> author's institution belongs in the argument to the \address
> command.  See instr-l.{tex,dvi,dvi.gz} for more information about
> how the AMS expects people to use their document classes.  The
> \author command is discussed on pages 3-4 of the latest version.

I thought it was not so clearly explained but I could see
the discussion in instr-l.tex.

> It does look like the definition of the \author command has
> changed.  If you really hate the behavior, you might consider
> taking it up with the folks at the AMS.  Send e-mail to
> <tech-support@ams.org>.

I agreed that \author has changed but I think diffs-{c,m}.txt
should refer to this if this is really the change of \author
command.

BTW, don't you (Amercan and/or European) think this change so
inconvenient?

Thanks for your advise,		2000.5.31

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>