All video players give BadAlloc - /dev/video is not there

debian-testing, dist-upgrade (not from etch, lenny already installed) made on June 23rd 2008:

In my system, all video players crash - totem, gxine, vlc - with the message BadAlloc.

If *vlc* has to play a music file, or if it is to stream an MPEG-1 video -through udp - to another computer, it does not crash.

I have looked into the directory /dev, and found that */dev/video does not exist.* Is that the cause for the problem? If yes, how can I make the device?

MAKEDEV seems not useful because it makes devices not in /dev but in a subdirectory of /dev.

David